Our favorite hike so far in Alaska....for more than one reason, though also one of the most challenging hikes we've done.
This was probably not the best day to hike this trail as we had run 10 miles the same day to train for the half marathon coming up at the end of the month. However, we wanted to make the most of our day in Alaska, so decided on a whim to make the drive to Eklutna Lake.
Once we arrived at the trailhead, we noticed a sign posting stating that there had been 6 black bear encounters on this trail in the last month. Didn't stop us. Probably should have, but it didn't.
Anyways...despite the challenges of getting to the top...I'd say the view was quite rewarding...
And...on the way down, we happened upon a black bear we're guessing around 40 ft in front of us standing sideways in the trail!!
We'd always wondered how we'd react when we saw our first bear on a hike, and now we know. Pete held his hand up to stop me when he saw it around the corner because of course I was looking down at the trail. I looked up and saw it...just a little guy maybe about 2 years old...so I was just waiting for the mother bear to walk up behind it...I said a few words and turned around to walk the other way (thinking of the worst...running through many horrible bear attack stories we've been reading about in my head) but Pete turned me around and said "No, we've got to stand our ground. Get out your bear spray..." And so I did..along with my camera:) Unfortunately, by the time I got it out to take a shot it ran away.
But this is where it stood:)
It was the coolest thing to see. Almost didn't seem real. I know we'd think differently if things turned out a different way, but we're thankful for the experience.



Oh. My. Goodness. Tracy! Wow! Those pics are amazing too!
ReplyDeleteGlad the bear left you alone! Those pictures are so beautiful, esp. that blue water!
ReplyDeleteCathy