Sunday, November 24, 2013

Back to Work

I have officially started my job at Providence.  The first week of orientation down.  It's been 7 years since I've had to relearn a new job.  I knew it'd be tough, but you never really know how tough until you're standing right there looking at it.
There are many things at Providence that are very similar to Fairview where I came from, the biggest one being the computer system, but lots of things that are different....

The biggest thing I'm trying to get used to is the layout.  I get lost every day that I'm there.  You think you're going down the right hallway, but then suddenly you realize you have no idea where you are, and no idea where you came from.  You feel like a tourist especially with all the binders and paperwork they give you as a new orientee, and you just have to be ok with looking like you don't know anything and ask.
I'll be standing in the elevator and push a button and realize it's not going to take you anywhere unless you swipe your badge.  Something I never had to do at Fairview.
Also just relearning the many codes and passwords to all the locked rooms and all of the accounts needing to be accessed.

While Providence is a big hospital,  and gets a fair amount of the patients in the whole state of alaska, it sounds like they are somewhat limited in resources.  They talked in orientation about occasionally having to send for the more rare types of blood from the Seattle area, and occasionally flying patients that they are unable to serve to Washington.   

The atmosphere seems rather friendly and laid-back, and less of a corporation feel.  They begin the day by doing prayer on the overhead speakers.

While it's been challenging, I am extremely thankful to have a job, and excited to be back at work.  While it was nice to have time off in between jobs, it's great to be back in community and be able to do something for others.

We're off to go check out a new church today.  Praying that this is the one!!



2 comments:

  1. Starting each day with prayer at work? Wonderful! How was the church?

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pete and Tracy,
    What a great adventure you guys are on! We're thinking of you and it's great to see how you're doing through this blog. Have fun and good luck getting settled in :)

    Merrie & Brad Becker

    ReplyDelete