Thanksgiving....
As we've been introduced to the cold of Alaska, I can think of many things I am thankful for this year.
It was 4 degrees here yesterday.
We stood outside in the cold for approximately an hour and a half waiting for the Christmas tree lighting at Town Square. It was frigid. Every planned "act" prior to the actual tree lighting seemed to take forever. My mood turned sour as things kept taking forever, and my toes kept getting colder and colder. Even santa and all his reindeer couldn't cheer me up:)
As soon as the tree was lit, we bolted out of there. We were chilled to the bone. We drove ourselves to the nearest store and purchased a large can of hot chocolate. We came home, changed out of our chilled clothing into something warmer, cooked up a nice mug of that hot cocoa, cranked our heat up, and started a fire. It took awhile, but we eventually thawed out.
Meanwhile...
In that same grocury store where we purchased the hot cocoa, two separate homeless men were being shooed from loitering in the store.
And then a little later...
As we are driving home, a homeless man takes a box of leftovers from a driver passing by. So hungry he's willing to eat someone he doesn't knows leftovers.
Can't help but think.....I am thankful for what I've been given.
Thankful for a God who takes care of us, and gives continuously even when we don't deserve it.
Thankful for a budget that's got the ability to pop over to the store to get a hot drink if we feel like it.
Thankful for a heater that I can just turn up a notch when I'm not feeling warm enough.
Thankful for a husband who is my own personal space heater
And most of all this year thankful for wonderful families we missed dearly this Thanksgiving.
Some photos to share from the Christmas Tree Lighting:




Your families missed you dearly, too.
ReplyDeleteCathy - for everyone